No one can assure you of the availability of Tatkal train tickets. Even people who are experts in booking tatkal tickets cannot give you the guarantee of a confirmed ticket. It is because of the huge rush every time on the IRCTC server. Tatkal availability is totally dependent on a lot of factors. You simply cannot tell the particular reason for which it may fail. Tatkal Booking requires all hand-eye-mind-soul co-ordination for a confirmed tatkal ticket. People choose tatkal bookings because normal bookings usually get filled due to some sort of urgency. Due to this reason, there are certain time slots that are allocated for tatkal booking. These rules were made by IRCTC itself. We don’t know if they are going to change those timings or not. But for now, you have to follow these timings. Both the timings are different for AC and Non-AC. There are a specific number of seats that are allocated to both the classes. You can find more information in the article about Tatkal ticket availability.
Tatkal Ticket Availability Time
You can book tatkal tickets the day before your departure. For AC class, it’s between 10 AM to 11 AM. For the Non-AC class, it’s 11 AM to 12 PM. You can check the tatkal availability on your IRCTC dashboard while booking the ticket. Just go to the top-right corner, select the class as tatkal and you will be able to see the no, of available seats for each train. The timing is divided into two parts because to keep the server safe. If both, AC and Non-AC tickets are getting booked at the same time, then the server may crash causing trouble. This saves the server as well as it encourages more bookings, which means more revenue for IRCTC. This strategy helps both users and the provider.
Tatkal Ticket Availability Today
Tatkal Bookings first started in 1997, after that there has been a lot of modifications in the rule. The bookings start 24 Hrs or 1 day before train scheduled timing. In a day only 2 tickets can be booked using an ID. And a maximum of 6 tickets can be booked online in a month. So, if someone tells you that they can book more no, of tickets, then are frauds, don’t listen to them and book the tickets ethically. No railway agents can book the tickets from 08:00 am to 08:30 am, 10:00 am to 10:30 am and 11:00 am to 11:30 am so that other people can enjoy Tatkal services.
Tatkal Train Ticket Availability Rules
Apart from availability, you need to know more about the Tatkal rules and regulations. Here are some of the rules that you need to follow:
- There is no refund on confirmed AC or Non AC Tatkal tickets. But for RAC and waiting Tatkal tickets you can get a refund after the cancellation of tickets. Waiting tickets can be canceled automatically. Or you can file TDR. For RAC tickets you need to file TDR before 30 minutes of train scheduled time as it cannot get canceled automatically.
- After deducting Tatkal charges remaining money will be refunded to you for RAC and Waiting Tatkal tickets.
- The Tatkal charges have been fixed. For the second class, the rate is 10% of the basic fare and 30% of the basic fare for all other classes.
- The passenger can claim a full refund of fare and Tatkal charges if the train’s route is diverted and the passenger doesn’t want to travel.
- If the train’s route is diverted and the boarding station/destination or both are not on the diverted route, then also a passenger can claim a refund of fare and charges on Tatkal tickets.
- The passenger can claim a full refund if the coach in which Tatkal accommodation is provided has been detached from the train and the passenger is not offered accommodation in the same class.
- A full refund will be provided if a passenger is being accommodated in the lower class and doesn’t wish to travel in the lower class. If the passenger agrees to travel in the lower class, he/she will be refunded the difference of fare along with the difference of Tatkal charges.
|Travel Class||Minimum Tatkal Charges (INR)||Maximum Tatkal Charges (INR)||Minimum Distance (KM)|
|AC Chair Car||125||225||250|
|AC 3 Tier||300||400||500|
|AC 2 Tier||400||500||500|
1 – How many seats are available in Tatkal?
Ans – There are no specific tatkal coaches attached, instead a specific number of seats in the regular coaches are kept aside as Tatkal quota seats. For 2A class 4 berths per coach is kept aside as Tatkal quota. Similarly, for 3A it is 6 berths and AC Chair Car, 6 seats per coach.